Sunday, March 28, 2010

cookie monster

Part of the reason why I wanted to start a blog is not only to share my random thoughts and ideas, but to share my "accidental love" for baking. I think I've always loved baking - my mom and I did it all the time when I was little. And no question, I definitely have a sweet tooth but the way it came as I guess what can be considered a hobby now started as a work project. I am a Speech Language Assistant and work in schools, primarily Kindergarten to grade 5. I was asked to participate in a phonological awarness program for the kindergartens to learn their word families (-at, -en, -ig, etc.). As part of their reward, there is a small "celebration" to recognize the kindies' progress...this is where the cookies come in. For "Jen the Hen", I volunteered to make sugar cookies in the shape of hens for the class as their treat. Problem was, I had no cookie cutters, and no recipe for that matter. I borrowed a cookie cutter from my colleague and yeah, yeah, I could have searched for a sugar cookie recipe on the internet, but a parent at one of my schools had this great recipe she uses for her cookies so I asked her - little did I know, it was a Betty Crocker recipe and it's always a success when she made it so I thought I'd give it a try...and YES! it worked! Along with the Royal Icing recipe -- OH GAWD was it ever difficult the first time! Consistency consistency consistency is what I learned later on! I think it's safe to say, that my favourite kind of cookie to make and decorate is a sugar cookie, and it's really the only kind I make and is requested of. I've since found a "better" recipe that holds it's shape for cutting and decorating purposes...but that's for another time. And so my quest for awesome cookies began...and I've never looked back.

Jen the Hen (and chicks) - My first attempt at baking and decorating sugar cookies!

No comments:

Post a Comment